Today we are going to talk about body piercing aftercare instructions and advise on how to heal your piercing fast. First, make sure that your piercing is done with a sterile object, and that jewelry inserted in the new piercing site is also sterile, to prevent bacteria and foreign objects from entering the body.
All new piercings produce a sticky white to off-white discharge that dries into a crusty formation around the openings of the piercings and on the jewelry. The area around the new piercing should be kept clean.
- Do not touch the new piercing. Wash your hands with soap before cleaning the piercing.
- Clean the pierced area with antibacterial soap. Remove all crusty formations, and rinse off the soap.
- Salt-water soaks are good to loosen up crusty formations. You can make salt water by adding 1/4 teaspoon of salt to one cup of clean water.
- Do not use alcohol or peroxide to clean the area at any time. They will dry out your skin. Betadine will discolor gold jewelry.
- Always wear clean clothing and change the bed-sheets every week during the healing period to avoid infection.
- Sweat and clothes rubbing against the piercing may be irritating.
- For piercings in your ear or around your face, avoid make-up and powders in that area during the healing process. Cover the pierced area with a tissue when applying hair spray.
- For body piercings, do not wear tight clothes. For navel piercing, do not wear large belts, stockings or body suits, and do not sleep on your stomach. Good air circulation is important for healing.
- Be careful where you swim. Avoid public pools and hot tubs until the piercing has healed.
- For mouth care following tongue or lip piercing, choose an antibacterial mouthwash that does not contain alcohol and rinse your mouth after all meals and snacks. If you notice bad breath and an off-colored tongue, the mouthwash may have killed bacteria that live naturally in the mouth. If this happens, switch to salt water rinses instead of mouthwash.
- Saline solution should be used to clean the inside entrance of nostril piercings.
- Do not use antibiotic ointments on piercings.
- Avoid kissing or oral sex while piercings in mouth are healing.